Readers write in and ask, “How do I start a regular routine of meditation?
I am no expert believe you me, but here are a few suggestions. I am a firm believer that one of the best ways to meditate is to simply go fro a stroll, saunter, or walk around a block.
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed.
- Sit in a comfortable position, either on the floor or in a chair.
- Close your eyes and relax your body.
- Focus on your breath. Notice the feeling of the air as it enters and leaves your body.
- If your mind wanders, gently bring it back to your breath.
- Continue meditating for as long as you like.
Here are some additional tips for meditating:
- Start with short meditations, such as 5 or 10 minutes. As you get more comfortable with meditation, you can gradually increase the length of your sessions.
- Don’t be discouraged if your mind wanders. It’s perfectly normal for your mind to wander during meditation. Just gently bring your attention back to your breath.
- Be patient with yourself. Meditation takes practice. The more you meditate, the better you will become at it.